The transportation industry is constantly changing in response to an ever-increasing demand for the movement of consumer and commercial goods. Listed below are some fun facts about the largest segment of that industry: trucking!
- The top transported goods in the U.S. are clothing, food, furniture and electrical goods. Necessities anyone?
- EPA emission regulations have cut the exhaust output of heavy trucks more than 95% in the past 19 years. Breathe easy!
- The trucking industry is expected to grow about 21% over the next 10 years. more jobs + more good moving = happy country!
- A commercial truck used about 20,500 gallons of fuel per year, compared to about 500 gallons for a standard car. Consider that the next time you feel the pain at the pump!
- The average national salary for truck drivers is $44,500. Not too shabby for a hard days work.
- About 3.5 million truck drivers operate about 15.5 million trucks in the united states. Talk about job security.
- Annually, trucking accounts for about 70% of all freight transported in the U.S. Take that, railroads!
- With the clean diesel trucks today, it would take 60 trucks to equal the exhaust emissions from one truck from 1988. Breathe easy, again!